Mar 1, 2016

Participation Trophy


blah blah blah... haven't posted in forever... blah blah blah.

Ok, now that that is taken care of...

Last year was my attempt at knitting a half-marathon. This was a pretty fun challenge, and in some ways very successful. Any completed item - no matter the start date - counted towards my knitted miles. This gave me some serious incentive to finish up WIPs, which was much needed. In the end, I didn't complete my half-marathon, woe. I did, however, finish 32 projects for a combined total of 18,946 yards. That's 10.76 miles!!! 2.5 miles more and I would have had it, but even so, that's pretty damn good, if I may say so myself. My total shattered the previous year's total by over 2000 yards.

Some of the more recent highlights:
Hitchhiker with added beads - for my mom
Pattern: Hitchhiker
Yarn: Wollmeise Pure in Boboli
a little owlie vest for a future professor
Pattern: Owl Baby Vest
Yarn: Swans Island Washable DK in Cayenne



Pattern: Wall Street Cables
Yarn: Wollmeise DK in Krokodil












Pattern: Abernathy Sweater
Yarn: Wollmeise DK in Petersilie
Christening blanket for the future professor
Pattern: Springtime Design
Yarn: Jamieson and Smith Shetland Supreme


Pattern: Hansel (half)
Yarn: Jamieson & Smith Supreme Jumper in Gaulmogot
& Spindrift Crafts naturally dyed (picked up in Shetland)



Pattern: Semis de Printemps
Yarn: Wollmeise DK in Amethyst light
Buttons from a gallery in Shetland

Pattern: Indian Feather Socks
Yarn: Grant Creek Yarns Cushy Merino/Nylon
in Rustic Russet





Patten: Bailey's Irish Cream
Yarn: Foxhill Farms Cormo DK

Pattern: baa-ble hat
Yarn: Jamieson's Heather Aran
Purchased the yarn and knit the hat while in Shetland

To the left and below is the finished object of which I am probably most proud: the Wave Cardigan in about a million different colors of Jamieson & Smith Jumper Weight. It was really a joy to knit. The pattern is easy to memorize, but, obviously, you have to keep track of colors. Alas, my sleeves are about three inches too short. No worries. I'm going to be cutting them at the arm holes and adding length there. It'll keep the color sequence consistent with the body. That will wait until after the county fair though.   



Speaking of fairs, the Wave Cardigan, Abernathy baby sweater, Springtime Design christening shawl, and Indian Feather Socks all won first place ribbons at the Indiana State Fair. The Semis de Printemps won second (but I lost to myself, so that hardly counts). This coming year, I will be putting the socks and the wave cardigan into the county fair, while the Wall Street Cables will have its day at the state fair.

So that wraps up my year of the half-marathon. I didn't finish, but I earned that fucking participation trophy. 

2016 is the year of spinning, but more on that later.

No comments: