Feb 17, 2015

Secular Lent

Happy Shrove Tuesday! I hope everyone has a belly full of pancakes, paczki, king cake, or whatever delightful Fat Tuesday confection you indulge in on this day. Confession: I am not of the Christian religious/faithful variety. I was raised as such, but have thrown it aside in favor of a different belief system. I'd go into more detail, but I tend to check out upon reading/hearing about other people's beliefs, so nope. The reason I bring it up is that I do love Lent. Not the religious aspects, per se, but the tradition of making sacrifices during its duration. Granted, this practice of sacrificing during Lent is rooted in religious stuff, but it also has secular appeal. It's like New Year's resolutions (which, as we all know, I loathe) but on a smaller timeline, with greater support. 40 days is an excellent period of time to sacrifice something. It's long enough that it can make an actual difference in behavior post-Lent, but short enough to where you can face the hardship knowing the end is in sight. Plus, if someone gives you shit about your sacrifice, saying "it's for Lent" tends to shut them right the hell up.

What am I sacrificing this year? The motherfucking internet. Yeah, that thing that I rely on for all my information, most of my social time, my morning and evening time wasting, patterns and general frivolity. Two exceptions: work-related internet usage (three websites) and email. The latter partially for work, but also because on rare occasions I get time-sensitive emails. I'll be doing the "Sunday is a free day" both for sanity and to make sure I don't miss us going to war or something.

I will try to keep track of the agony and post here about it (on Sundays, obviously). I fully expect to fail. I do hope that not being constantly distracted by facebook and ravelry, not being enraged by idiots on the internet, not idly shopping etsy, ebay and whatever other shops pique my interest will result in three positive outcomes: increased productivity (work, knitting, cleaning, whatever), greater peace within and saving some moolah.

Wish me luck! If you are giving something up for Lent, I wish you the best of luck as well!

No comments: