May 24, 2012

a slew of socks


I was listening to a slightly outdated episode of The SavvyGirls Podcast on my way to work where Deborah discussed how much she hates knitting socks, in particular the dreaded SSS. For those of you unfamiliar with SSS, it stands for Second Sock Syndrome and basically refers to the unwillingness many knitters feel when faced with knitting the same damn thing they just finished knitting. I am often prone to this awful affliction and end up with five sad and lonely single socks to prove it. Anyway, as Deborah was sharing her dislike of sock knitting, I (rather loudly) exclaimed “ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS?!” Keep in mind that I had had about 32 ounces of coffee at this time (side note: I lurve my new 32oz Biggby “grab it 2 go” mug! Finally an appropriately sized reusable mug!).

I just don’t understand not loving knitting socks. I mean, I can understand it not being a primary love (some people don’t mind purling, I guess, and so adore knitting lace), but to just flat out not want to do it?! Nevermind that handknit socks are so very comfy, sock yarn is soooooo pretty! And there are so very many beautiful patterns to choose from! My ravelry queue is FILLED with gorgeous sock patterns! How can a knitter not want to knit them ALL?!  

Once upon a time, I had never knitted a sock. I watched friends knitting in class (as in, grad school), working on their socks with those tiny needles, somehow not drawing blood, and I yearned to be “that knitter”. There was nothing cooler in my eye than being a sock knitter. I so wanted to do it, but was deathly afraid of those fiddly little things, especially when these ├╝bercool sock knitters casually tossed out words like “heel turn,” “gusset” and “gauge.” My dear friend/enabler pookiebb, after spending quality time taunting me with her beautiful socks (which at this point was the equivalent of swinging a t-bone in front of a starving lion), finally convinced me to grab those proverbial bull testicles. I never looked back. Clearly. 



Knitty gritty: Schaefer Yarn Company Heather in Agatha Christie
Size US 1.5
Plain stockinette with slipped stitch heel, CO 72
I have a love/hate relationship with this yarn. It’s really beautiful and feels really nice on my feet, but I hate silk (even a small amount) on my fingers when I knit. It feels like rubbing my hands on a chalkboard, and just typing that caused shivers to run up and down my spine. This is project #1 of my Agatha Christie knitting adventure.


  Knitty gritty: WM 80/20 in Madame Souris
Size US 1.5 for cuff, size US 0 for foot

I absolutely adore these socks. The stitch pattern is elegant, yet easier than husband after a few beers. Also, they fit like a glove! I may try switching to a smaller needle for the foot on future socks… These were for the I love Wollmeise KAL in the wollmeiseholics group.


Knitty Gritty: Grant Creek Yarns Glimmer in Northern Lights
Size US 1.5
Kai-Mei by Cookie A.

Sweet butter on toast, these are stunners. A gift for the fabulous Heidi (dyer of Grant Creek Yarns), these hit the trifecta of perfect sock kitting: perfect pattern, perfect yarn, perfect fit.

            
Rainy Days & Wooly Dogs Strychnine in Birdhouse in your soul
Size US 1.5 
Plain stockinette w/afterthought heel, CO 72
Nothing much to say here. These were in my WIP pile for a while, as during the fall the colors are too close to U of Michigan colors for me to feel comfortable working on them.


Knitty Gritty: Grant Creek Yarns Glimmer in Electric Bungalow!
Size US 1.5 for first 2/3 of leg, size 1 for the rest
Wedge by Cookie A., size XL
Remember Electric Bungalow? After trying out five different patterns and having none of them come close to showcasing the full glory of this yarn, I finally tried out Wedge. These may be the coziest socks I own. They also went FAST. This pattern is so interesting (without being mind-numbing) that you’re finished before you know it! I will probably knit it again when I have a variegated yarn I don’t know what to do with.

            
Knitty Gritty: Grant Creek Yarns Cushy Merino/Nylon 2-ply
Size US 1 needles
Tea and Scandal Socks by verybusymonkey
Yet another pair of socks knit in Heidi’s simply fantastic yarn. The color is incredible, as usual, and the base is really enjoyable to work with - squooshy with great stitch definition. I specifically chose this color as it looked like blood mixed with tea (the pattern being inspired by Miss Marple). This is #2 in my Agatha Christie knitting adventure. I followed the pattern exactly, and those of you with sharp eyes will perhaps figure out that there is no way even in frozen-over hell that these fit me.

I’ll save my socks still on the needles for the next post! Maybe soon I’ll be caught up! Happy knitting :) 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

New home, flowers, knitting - YAAAAY!