Jan 20, 2012

five + eleventy billion

At the beginning of the year, I was a woman with a plan. I called my plan "five + one," and the crux of the plan was that I would only have five projects on the needles at a time, with an optional "plus one" project for KALs or gifts or other such time-sensitive projects that might come up. I even set it all up on a white board - a list of projects on the needles, and next to that a list of the next projects in my queue. How could I fail? I mean, it's on a white board! And we all know that a white board makes it official, right?

Well, here we are, three weeks into the year, and it seems that my foolproof plan didn't take into account what a special kind of fool I am. My official five + one projects are:

1. Secret socks for Heidi
2. Agatha Christie plain vanilla socks
3. Gentleman's lozenge socks
4. arabella shawl (been OTN forever)
5. Glasier socks
+1: advent shawl

The secret, unofficial, if-they're-not-on-my-rav-project-page-then-they-don't-exist projects: a featherweight cardigan in wollmeise 100% and a felicity hat in some gorgeous handspun I picked up at the Ann Arbor Fiber Festival (from Wonder Why Alpaca Farm). It's a minor miracle that I don't have several others on the needles, and I can't guarantee that there won't be a few more in the works by the end of the weekend.

I've decided not to fight this acute case of startitis, but rather to just embrace it. I started the year waging war on two different knitting-related issues: project polygamy (casting on too many new projects when I have projects on the needles pining away for my attention) and buying more yarn than I have room to store.  I'm starting to realize that I just don't have the weaponry to fight both at the same time. In fact, I am starting to think that startitis may actually help me deal with my inability to walk away from beautiful yarn just sitting there with puppy-dog eyes, begging me to bring it home. The feelings associated with casting on a new project are rather similar to those of purchasing pretty yarn - basically a sense of "OOOOOH! SO SHINY AND NEW! EXCITING!" So basically I am getting my fix by casting on shit tons of new projects.

If this theory holds, my bank account should be beefier by year's end. Unfortunately, it also means I will be swimming in WIPs, and I'll probably have to buy more needles...

3 comments:

Rainy Daisy said...

White boards conquer all. Unless you brush past them too closely. Then you have some leeway to start more things. Maybe? In any case, it's a noble goal. And surely at some point, you have to get frustrated that you're not finishing anything, take a shot of whiskey and get some junk done, right?

I stopped counting my junk in progress, so I think you're like some kind of wizard or something.

H said...

If you buy needles at thrift store it doesn't count, and putting yarn on said needles also does not count!!

Hilly

Anonymous said...

Ummm...you forgot about my blanket...BIG KISS

Your Husband