Dec 30, 2011

the pom-pom that ate the world

Christmas is over, which is always very bittersweet in my books. As much as I love spending time with family, watching everyone opening gifts, the treats, opening my own gifts, the lights, the music... it's nice to have some peace and quiet. For the first time in over a week, I am all alone at home. I'm enjoying a West Wing marathon (thanks to husband for the complete series!), knitting, and drinking ALL of the coffee. Wonderful!

My mother received a pair of socks (along with the Boulder Flatirons woven shawl), which I had started for me, but had languished in my WIP pile for the last half of this year until shortly before Christmas, when I decided to pick them up again. When I did, I realized that the colors were very much my mom's colors and that she would love them. Thankfully, we have similarly sized feet, so they ended up fitting perfectly!


What I love most about them is that they are all-season socks. The yarn was a custom dye from String Theory Colorworks based on my favorite fruit of summer: watermelon. Knitting them in the summer, they just screamed juicy watermelons! When I picked them up in December, though, they were very clearly (girly) Christmas socks! What fun!

Knitty Gritty: Plain vanilla socks, knit 2AAT toe-up with afterthought heels. Yarn: String Theory Colorworks Inertia in Lanatus.

The other Christmas-related FO was finished Christmas Eve Eve, so just in time. I haven't blocked it yet, nor added a name. I plan to make one of these (in different patterns) for husband, myself and my mom as well, so I figure I'll do the annoying stitching of the names all at once. My dad's stocking:


This went fast. I think it took maybe a week of non-monogamous knitting. I probably could have finished it in three days, to be honest. I used Bartlett Yarns Fisherman 2-ply Aran for all of it, which was a treat. According to the website, the mill has been around since 1821, and the yarn was beautifully rustic - it had that real sheepy smell. I mean that in the best of ways. I would take breaks from knitting and just shove my nose into the yarn cake to breathe deep the wonderful smell of wool. Obviously, it knit up beautifully as well.

Knitty Gritty: Pattern is Holly Christmas Stocking, which is also available as a kit with Bartlett Yarns yarn. Used Bartlett Yarns Fisherman 2-ply in Cranberry, Spruce Heather and Lt. Sheep Grey. I chose the afterthought heel option (pattern also offers a short-row heel option). 

I also finished my sockhead hat a while ago (just never took a photo, as it went straight from finishing to my head). I stopped a lot earlier than the pattern said to, just because I got sick of the endless stockinette. As dull as the pattern is, I do love the hat a great deal and plan to make another one soon!


Knitty Gritty: Pattern is Sockhead Hat, knit in Sanguine Gryphon Eidos in Alcibiades. Used size US 2 needles, and stopped after about 6" of stockinette (rather than 9). 

I have a random FO to show. Random, because I hadn't planned on working on it this past week, or even casting it on. Christmas day, I went to go check on the goose (we cooked it using a steam-roast method), which was steaming on the stovetop. I opened the foil a little and naturally burned the fuck out of my fingers. I'm talking giant blisters, intense pain, and a need to look up the different degrees of burns. The worst part - you know, other than the searing pain - was that the worst burn was on my left index finger. My tension finger. The finger I need in order to keep tension/gauge when knitting. Fuck. After a day, the pain had subsided and I figured I could knit with the giant bandage on. I was a little worried about tension and working on something with an already established gauge, so I cast on a hat in some bulky yarn, then finished it the next day (gotta love those instant gratification projects!).

Then I decided it needed a pom. A big one.


Now, this photo shows the pom-pom after a significant amount of trimming. At the beginning, it was larger than the hat. There is no doubt that it is still far to large, but I love it.

Knitty Gritty: Pattern is Bicycle Wheels (although somewhat modified, as I didn't get anywhere close to gauge - no I didn't swatch, but I could tell from the get-go). Yarn used is Blue Moon Fiber Arts Icelandic, which was a DREAM to work with and has me wanting to buy a truck load more. The colorway is Banded Agate, my personal favorite of BMFA. 

I have several new WIPs on the needles:


Some vanilla socks in the Agatha Christie colorway from Schaefer Yarn Company (base is Heather), which goes along with my current read-a-thon of all of Agatha Christie's books, in order. I started these socks as I was reading The Secret of Chimneys (obviously), but have since finished it and am on to one of my all-time favorites, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (if you haven't read it, go do so now. It's brilliant). I'm going to try and knit as many Agatha Christie inspired projects as I can this next year (not exclusively, but will try to always have something on the needles!).


I can't tell you what pattern this is, as it is a surprise for Heidi. The yarn is her own - Grant Creek Yarns in Northern Lights on the Glimmer base (so much prettier in person. it's gloomy here today, so the photo is crap). This is the last photo of it until they're finished and in her hands, or rather, on her feet :)

Phew. It's been busy here at chez nelago, even with the holidays! I'm kind of impressed with myself for getting WIPs taken care of, and not going overboard on casting on new things. Hopefully the new year will be just as productive!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Gasp! and, OOH!