Nov 1, 2011

the proof is in the score - these be unlucky

I know I haven't posted in a bit, but I think it goes without saying why. I won't dwell, but it is still difficult to "get back to normal." Still, grief has proven to be an excellent motivating force when it comes to my knitting. Focusing on the needles keeps me from breaking down completely, and for that I am grateful.

So, I mentioned this in my last post, but I finished my "lucky" Lions socks a while ago. I was supposed to have them done before football season started, in an attempt to sway my dear and kind of pathetic Detroit Lions. Well, I finished them four games in - more like four wins in. So they weren't really hurting for luck, but more is  always better right? So the first game I wore them, and we won. YAY LIONS! Socks must be lucky, right? Well the next weekend I was away and didn't have them with me, and we lost. Well, clearly it was because I wasn't wearing them, so that doesn't count, right? Next game, I wore them, and we lost. We also looked like crap. At this point the socks were 1-1. This last weekend, I purposefully didn't wear the socks, and we kicked the crap out of Tebow and the Broncos. Since I hate Tebow, this was a double win (although my brother was always a Broncos fan, so that's a bit of a bummer... but we rarely saw eye-to-eye on professional sports). I think that makes the socks 1-2... sort of. Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that these are now officially off-season socks. I might wear them to the game we have tickets to, but ONLY if the outcome has no bearing on the playoffs.

Yeah, I'm that superstitious.

Yes, I understand that my choice in foot accessories has NO bearing on the outcome of a football game.

But fuck if I'm taking any chances...

beer tastes better when wearing hand-knit socks! 

Most importantly, they're done! Another WIP bites the dust :)
The knitty-gritty: String Theory Colorworks Continuum (MCN) in Pluto, knit on size US 1.5 Chiagoo circs (magic loop), with an afterthought heel (black heel, toe and cuff in Wollmeise Twin, colorway "Schwarz").

I also finished my fucking clapotis. So the story here is that last year I knit a clapotis for my maid-of-honor. I finished it in about a month, and was really really happy with the result. So much so, that I decided I absolutely needed one of my own. So in February, I happily cast one on for myself. Now, if you've never knitted this pattern (and I hear there are one or two knitters left in the world who haven't, but that might just be knitting legend), it's so fucking boring. Dropping the stitches is fun, but beyond that it is about as exciting as watching my husband play facebook games. I really needed to force myself to finish this damn thing. It's not as long as I would have liked, but it's long enough. I do love the finished product, but I don't know that it is worth the extreme boredom.

That's Harvey modeling the shawl

closeup! 

Isn't it lovely? I have read on various forums that the pattern designer and her minions are very anti-blocking of this shawl, but I don't give a rat's ass. I like the way it looks blocked out, and I'm the one that has to live with it, right?
The knitty-gritty: Clapotis knit with one skein Wollmeise 100% Merino in colorway Versuchskaninchen II (one of my all time faves). Don't recall how many increase rounds I did (I think I stuck to the pattern), did 20 straight repeats. US size 6 needles.

So, two WIPs taken care of, four to go. Of course, some xmas knitting will probably take priority here soon... ugh. I mean YAY!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Dude, those socks are ah.may.zing. Love them xeleventy billion. I must needs some awesome striping yarn like THAT and attempt the afterthought heel.