Nov 28, 2011

Bite me, Barbie

Oh, Thanksgiving. My absolute favorite holiday of the year - where friends escape their families and come to my house for a delicious meal and countless bottles of wine. This year featured drunken charades, which ended with my friend Jeff attempting to mime out "Dick Cheney," only to have guesses such as "Dick Rain-shackle." (attempted to mime "chain," then "sounds like rain," in case you're wondering). My personal favorite was getting someone to mime out "Ken Burns Effect." Yeah, I'm kind of a bitch...

So now that Thanksgiving is over, it's time to focus on looking a little less like a beached whale. In an effort to actually have some accountability in yet another weight-loss goal, I've come up with a way to tie it into dealing with my yarn-buying addiction. For every two pounds that I lose, I get one credit (1 credit = a skein of yarn. However, for every five pounds husband loses, he can take a credit away. Also, for every two pounds I gain back, I have to destash my most recent yarn purchase.

Last year I attempted a yarn-buying fast, which failed rather quickly due to a total lack of accountability. This time, I am going to attempt to change that through public shaming. I have created a group on ravelry for fellow fluffy people (and not so fluffy people) to set their goals and reward system, check in, get support, and even prizes. (Sweatin' For Skeins) Since I'm owner/moderator of the group, there is already pressure to keep up with my goals and not post failures. The second public shaming involves actually disclosing my weight *gulp* to the (knitting) public. Considering that I have actively avoided even knowing my weight for many years now, this is a pretty big step. So here goes.

I weigh the equivalent of 1, 398 skeins of sock yarn


What, you thought I was going to make that easy for you? Enjoy your math.

I bought an exercise game for my wii (since I work from home, I can take breaks with it) - Exerbeat. It's kind of fun, and has competitiveness I need - trying to beat my scores, and more importantly, husbands' scores. Plus, I get to yell obscenities at the stupid instructor. I'm pretty sure the voice of the aerobics instructor is the woman who does the voice of Barbie. It's fucking obnoxious and makes me want to kick her in the shins. (I'm writing this while watching husband do some of the exercises - makes me wish I had a video camera, it's pretty hilarious.)

Anyway... Knitting! I've done some! Look!


I finished Liz's Red Sox Socks. They turned out really well, although I somehow ended up with one afterthought heel being a bit bigger than the other. Oh well, if they don't fit right it'll be easy to fix.

Knitty gritty: basic vanilla socks, CO 64, women's size 8, afterthought heel. Wollmeise twin in Ruby Thursday and Natur for heels and toes.

I have a couple of other things I've been working on, but I'll put those in a separate post. That's it for now!

1 comment:

Rainy Daisy said...

Kickin' Socks! (See what I did there?) Seriously though, they look amazing. I love the deep red...

Very brave of you to start such a program. I know it's hard, but it's definitely one of the best ways to get yourself to do something. I work with students who have to check each other on their behavior full-time. It's hard, but they are amazingly well-behaved. It's an alternative program for troubled kids....long story. Anywho. Way to kick some fluff!

cheers,
Daisy