Aug 21, 2011

Finished Socks - The Final Frontier

One of the reasons it takes me over a month to knit a pair of socks is that I spend too much time dicking around on the internet. I actually started this blog in the hopes that it will help with my motivation to finish, the lacking of which I suspect to be the cause of my being easily distracted by shiny things (aka ravelry). Don't worry, even I recognize that this is insane troll logic - just humor me, my non-existent readers.

So I feel it is only appropriate to start off this wacky adventure I call a blog with a finished object! Socks!



I made these for an astronomy/space themed swap. As always, it was refreshing to knit socks for someone who doesn't have hobbit feet, like myself. They are totally basic vanilla (aka stockinette) socks, knit for a size US 9.5. I used size US2 chiagoo needles (LOVE), cast on 64 and did a slipped-stitch heel. The yarn is Light Brown Hare's arctic hare base in the nebula colorway (hey look! space!). The colors are fucking gorgeous - really evoking images of all of those amazing nebula photos you see on NASA's astronomy pic of the day. Plus, it's a sparkly base, so even more spacey! The yarn really knits up beautifully - no icky pooling in sight, see:



The photos do not do the colorway justice, but you get the picture.

In other news, as mentioned in my opening post, I dropped a fucking stitch today. Normally, this isn't much of an issue, but I'm knitting socktopus's Farmer McGregor Socks, where every other row has traveling twisted stitches. I had to tink back six rows, which happened to be basically all that I had accomplished today. I know it doesn't sound like much, but the nature of the pattern means it takes me a fucking year to finish a damn row. Anyway, here's a pic. I am further along than this, but not really by much.


The yarn is Wollmeise Sockenwolle 80/20 Twin in Johannisbeer und Brennessel, and it is so lush. Wollmeise is my absolute favorite sock yarn, mostly for the colors - rich, vibrant, and deep. This colorway (and its name) makes me think about eating a giant bowl of red currants in a field of stinging nettles. Stunning. I hope to finish these socks by the end of the wollmeiseholics (ravelyr group) Wollmeise Withdrawal Madness Month KAL - meaning I have until the end of September. I'm screwed.

1 comment:

vickite said...

For some reason, I don't have any Light Brown Hare in my stash. Must fix that. Love your socks!! Both pair.